After being on vacation, I came back to work overwhelmed by the massive amount of items in my inbox and RSS reader. Here are a few of my favorites just in case you missed them:
1. Questions about PLA? (a.k.a. plastic made out of corn) Check out Pays to Live Green’s post on the topic. Remember, no matter how ‘green’ the alternative, reduction is the most important step. Currently Waukesha County’s Materials Recycling Facility is not able to handle PLA.
2. Check out James at The Political Environment as he discusses the benefits of CFLs. He looks both at the math and the disposal issues. Also, check out my favorite video about CFL’s (oh if I had a nickle every time I said that).
3. Whilst at The Political Environment, check out this argument about water bottles. I am going to start an Environmental Economics class this week so the idea of substitutions was an interesting one to think about. When people buy bottled water from a vending machine, are they buying water (because of the health benefits) or are they buying the package (and the convenience)?
4. Leah at Suddenly Frugal talks about moving sans boxes. If you must use boxes, check out my post on reducing the number you need. Looking to talk to someone who rents reusable boxes for moving? Check out @spencerbrown on Twitter. While you’re there, be sure to follow me as well! @recycleraccoon.
5. An idea to reduce waste from The Clean Bin Project: bring your own doggie bag. I have a friend that does this as well and it is very easy to do with all of the collapsible food storage containers out there. (Especially if you are like me and could fit a small planet in your purse.)
Well all, let me know what you think. Did I miss some of your favorite posts this past week? I’m always looking for a good read, so do share!
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.